Date: July 24 – 29, 2020 Hours: 45 hours
Price: $950; $900 Early Bird by June 1st * See bottom of page for refund policy
Time: Friday – Tuesday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. and Wednesday, 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
ELIGIBILITY: This course is designed for Licensed/Registered Massage Therapists who have 500 hours of massage education or are certified through the NCBTMB. PTs, PTAs, OTs, COTAs, ATCs, and RNs may also take this course but should first consult with Klose Training to ensure it is appropriate for their needs. Upon registration you will be asked to provide a copy of your current license.
MLD Certification will help you to:
- Gain valuable new skills
- Attract more clients
- Improve client outcome
This 6-day MLD certification course with KLOSE TRAINING is based on the techniques developed by Dr. Emil Vodder, Ph.D., MT. Manual Lymph Drainage (MLD) is a very effective yet gentle manual technique that is easy on the therapist’s body and well tolerated by even highly-sensitive clients. MLD reduces swelling and detoxifies the skin and superficial fascia by promoting drainage within the superficial and deep systems of the lymph vascular network.
Instructor René Janiece establishes a supportive class environment in which you’ll learn the anatomy and physiology of the lymphatic system and effective MLD sequences that can reduce swelling and other symptoms associated with: Post-surgical edema; soft-tissue injuries; rheumatoid arthritis; fibromyalgia; whiplash; migraine headaches; PTSD; anxiety disorders; mild, medically-uncomplicated lymphedema; and more!
The MLD Advantage
Getting MLD-certified expands your skill set which will help you better serve your current clients. Some therapists find it beneficial to use MLD in every massage session in conjunction with other techniques.
Becoming certified will also attract new clients to your practice who require this special form of massage. PTs and OTs often refer their patients with lymphedema to LMT-CLTs for maintenance therapy.
MLD has many applications including:
- As an adjunct therapy for clients who have been injured
- For use with oncology patients who prefer a lighter massage
- For treating post-surgical patients with edema (swelling)
- To improve the QOL for hospice patients and those in palliative care
- As an additional option to Swedish or relaxation massage
- And more!
During this course, students will be instructed in basic MLD treatment sequences as well as MLD treatment sequences for mild, medically uncomplicated upper and lower extremity lymphedema. These sequences will be demonstrated and practiced. Each day will be divided into two sections: theoretical and hands-on application.
Course Objectives: Participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the anatomy and the relevant scientific terminology related to the lymphatic system
- Demonstrate an understanding of the differentiation between the normal and diseased states of the lymphatic system (physiology and pathophysiology of the lymphatic system)
- Demonstrate an understanding of the indications and contraindications related to the use of MLD
- Competently perform the techniques of MLD for all body areas
- Develop appropriate treatment strategies for indications such as post-surgical edema, post-traumatic edema, fibromyalgia, general detoxification and other conditions
- Competently perform MLD on clients after breast surgery for cancer (clients at risk to develop lymphedema)
- Competently perform MLD on clients with mild, medically uncomplicated, primary or secondary lymphedema
Please note: This course will not prepare the participant for the Complete Decongestive Therapy (CDT) treatment of lymphedema. Students who are so motivated must take an additional certification training course and meet other requirements of enrollment.
“The best continuing education course of my entire career.”Instructor: Rene’ Janiece,LMT #6865, BCTMB, CLT, COMT brings nearly twenty-five years of experience in the field of massage and bodywork to her classroom instruction. She is a graduate of the Scherer Institute of Natural Healing in Santa Fe, New Mexico, and has a broad background in both comfort-oriented and therapeutic modalities. Her private and clinically based practices have focused largely on palliative and hospice care, specializing in oncology. She is a Certified Oncology Massage Therapist, having studied extensively with leading instructors in the oncology massage field: Gayle MacDonald, MS, LMT, Sandy Canzone, DOM, and Isabel Adkins. Knowing Manual Lymphatic Drainage and Complete Decongestive Therapy to be such integral components of cancer care, Rene’ earned her initial MLD Certification in 2003 and her Lymphedema Therapy Certification in 2005 through Klose Training & Consulting. Community outreach and education has been an important priority throughout René’s career. She has been a presenter at conferences, massage schools, cancer centers and outreach events focusing on cancer, lymphedema, caregiver support and hospice care. While also maintaining a private practice, René has provided consulting and treatment services for medical offices, not-for-profit organizations, and hospitals in New Mexico, Colorado, and Texas, often being instrumental in new program development. She has been an assistant instructor for Klose Training’s MLD and Lymphedema Therapy Courses since 2004, and officially joined the faculty as a MLD Instructor in 2006. In addition to her work with Klose Training & Consulting and her clinical practice, Rene’ offers courses on massage and lymphedema awareness throughout the United States. Professional Memberships:
- National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork
- Associate Bodywork & Massage Professionals (Certified Member)
- International Association for Hospice & Palliative Care
- National Lymphedema Network
Instructor: Nicola McGill, LLSA, LMT, BCTMB, CLT has over 15 years of experience in the field of massage and bodywork both in the U.S. and the United Kingdom. She is a graduate of the London School of Aromatherapy and received diplomas in Reflex Touch and Manual Lymphatic Drainage in Professional Practice at Anglia Polytechnic University, U.K.Upon relocating to the U.S., Nicola received extensive training in the field of oncology massage – including scar tissue release for post-mastectomy patients – under the instruction of Gayle MacDonald, MS, LMT and Sandy Canzone, DOM. In 2010, Nicola received her Lymphedema Therapy Certification through Klose Training and Consulting. She also completed the Breast Cancer Rehabilitation, Head and Neck Lymphedema Management, and refresher MLD classes with Klose Training.In her clinical practice, Nicola utilizes her bodywork skills as an aromatherapist, massage therapist, and MLD practitioner to treat a wide range of medical conditions, both chronic and acute, including conditions related to the respiratory, digestive, muscular-skeletal, nervous, and reproductive systems. She also provides individual aromatherapy consultations for clients requiring customized blends for skin care and general health-promoting practices. Since May 2008, Nicola has been on staff at Boulder Community Hospital (BCH) as an Oncology Massage and Lymphedema Therapist. She promotes education and lymphedema risk-reduction practices at cancer support groups and individual treatment sessions while working alongside the Rocky Mountain Compassionate Communication Center (RMCCC) and the BCH team of healthcare providers. Professional Memberships:
- National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (BCTMB)
- Associate Bodywork & Massage Professionals (Certified Member)
- National Lymphedema Network (NLN)
- Society for Oncology Massage
- International Federation of Aromatherapists